Saturday, January 27, 2007

My Landlord...

I have a landlord, whom I frankly have no idea why when he decided to do rental properties, someone didn't stop him. Here are a few of the things that I have dealt in the 3 years I have called this tiny apartment home.

1. Box tape holding the seal on my refrigerator on. When I called requesting a new one, he said mine worked fine. Needless to say, I bought a new fridge right away.

2. My toilet breaking, because the d-bag had a paper clip holding something together, it eventually rusted through and snapped. I called him and requested that he have his maintenance man drop off one of those new fangled plastic clips. Hear tell plastic doesn't rust.

3. My landlord sends his maintenance man around monthly to inspect our building and each unit for leaks, because he says the water bill is too high. Though, call him for an actual leak, and he wants to know if its urgent or can it wait.

4. I dealt with 250.00 monthly electric bills for my apartment because I couldn't get my air conditioner replaced. Lease states you are not allowed to replace it yourself. After two years of living in 3rd floor-heat-rises-hell in the summer time, the thing finally broke. After two unsuccessful repairs, I got a new one. I now enjoy a monthly electric bill at about 120.00.

5. The burners on my stove didn't fit. When you placed a heavy pot of water on the burner, the weight of the pot would unplug the burner. I called the landlord. He says, use another burner. I bought a new stove too.

6. When it snows, I cant get up the driveway. I drive half-way up, and then slide backwards into the street. It's funny to look out the window at other people doing the same thing, and even funnier to look outside and see an empty parking lot, and cars parked on both sides of the street. I guess salting and plowing are too expensive. Earlier this week, I got to watch the rubbish guy slide backwards into the street. He only tired once, and then just proceeded to the next pick up. My first winter here, I called the landlord about plowing. He told me to go buy new tires. I didn't argue that they were new tires. He probably would have just said go buy newer tires.

7. Last August my Landlord lost my rent. He doesn't give receipts and demands only money orders or cashiers checks. I got an eviction notice and I called him. He gave me 30 days to put a stop pay on the money order and have a new one issued. I did all of this, then he calls me and says never mind he found it. At first his daughter told me that sometimes people steal rent checks out of his drop box. Then I received a letter from her stating," since you claimed your rent was stolen from our locked box, I'm giving you 30 days to fix this."

8. In the springtime we had a heavy rain. My son, comes tear-assing into my room to tell me his light bulb is raining. Not really sure what he was talking about, I went to investigate. Sure enough, Water was coming in though the light fixture. It had totally filled up the shade, and was leaking over the sides of the shade. I called him, and almost fell out of my chair when he responded, "Ill send someone out in a couple of days, until then tell your son not to turn on his light." I'm no genius, but I am sure I read somewhere electricity and water don't mesh well.

9. In January my landlord lost my rent, but since this time I was able to have this one replaced in a matter of days, he never called to say he found it. From here on out I'm sending all rents certified mail.

When I say all rents, I really mean next months rent. I'm moving.

Nichole

No comments: